Saturday, March 18

One More Chance

Today as I was watering my plants, I noticed that one of my potted plants was missing. I just happened to look behind the fence, and much to my surprise there was my plant! Mark put Sheldon behind the fence, and he was able to retrieve the plant. By this time, the neglected plant looked pathetic. There were no vibrant blooms, and the tattered, withered leaves were wilted. My first thought was to simply toss it and put a new plant in the pot. However, I just did not have the heart to up root it and throw it away. I was willing to give the plant one more opportunity to survive because I knew what it once looked like. I was saddened by the condition that I found it in. However, I now have hope that in the upcoming weeks, it will thrive once again. There is potential for this plant to grow, but I will definitely have to give it some tender, loving care. I will not lose hope.

I realize I am writing about a simple plant, but could it be that we as Christians are too quick to give up on people who have lost their way. We need to have more compassion for people who have failed. No one is perfect; therefore, we cannot become critical and judgmental. We need to allow our Heavenly Father to gingerly reshape and mold every person's life. Thankfully, many churches are full of people who were once downtrodden, but now they are greatly used by the Lord. Thank God for compassionate pastors who are willing to invest their energy and time into people who have lost their way. We must always be willing to give every person who walks through the church doors a second chance to make a commitment and thrive once again. The Bible boldly states, "Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me." (Mic. 7:8) Never lose hope and always trust and believe that the Lord can work the miracle and change an individual who is willing to make a new commitment.

No comments: