Tuesday, July 17

How Do You Treat The Ones You Adore


Light-hearted
Originally uploaded by WisDoc.

There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Why is it that we flatter our guests but debase the ones dearest to us? If you knew that someone was videotaping an evening in your home, you would not dare act up. The fuss that you may normally engage in would not be near as intense. Perhaps, it would not even happen. If you can be kind and thoughtful to your guests, co-workers, friends or complete strangers, how much more should you be to your own family? "Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns." Your love and kindness will yield great dividends. Treat those closest to you as if they were a priceless jewel worthy of honor. Refrain from harsh words and love them unconditionally because your "family is a haven in a [sometimes] heartless world."

8 comments:

Mark Pryor said...

WOW, Babe...you truly do make a person think.

I am glad to be married to an awesome lady who lives in the glass bowl of a pastor's home and yet still manages to pull it off with grace.

Debbie Pryor said...

Babe, with you by my side I can do great things. You just have a way of helping me strive for higher heights. God was so gracious to bless me with you! I am soo thankful for God's great mercy.

Cheri said...

Sis Pryor, this is great, makes me think, we are at fault for not telling our family how we feel, as we take it for granted "they know" I love them, that I appreciate them, and am praying for them, but it is so true, especially in the Church, we make the Guests feel very welcome, but what about our brothers and sisters going through a "dry" spell, we need to love them just as much, Thank you for making me think, God Bless, Cheri Bagato

Debbie Pryor said...

Cheri,

Thank you for making me think about how we treat our brothers and sisters in the Lord! It is in those dry moments that we REALLY need the support of our church family! God bless you!

Jana Allard said...

When the south has its owm district, they better have you speak at their ladies meetings!!! What a great thought, Debbie. I like how Cheri added to it, too. I have wondered many times why people can't treat their loved ones with the respect they do strangers in the street. Our family should be the safe haven free of fear, strife, and abuse.

Mark Pryor said...

Wow, great stuff. I like what Cheri and Jana added, you know one of the things that I enjoy about blogging is how that posts have the ability to take on a life of their own in the form of a conversation. This has definitely been one such post.

Unknown said...

A timely and thoughtful post.

Thank you. I also like the proverb: after the game, the king and pawn go into the same box. Great! :)

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Mark Pryor said...

I like that old proverb as well. In no place should that spirit of unity be more evident than in the church.