Saturday, November 15

What's Going On?





IMG_0712
Originally uploaded by MAPryor

What's going in the Pryor household -- Mission written and oral report which is due on Friday, November 21, 2008! My table and desk are cluttered with papers and notes. Books are on the coffee table, but I know that tomorrow morning everything will once again be in order. Searching the internet,I found a comment that stated, "it's the report that often keeps parents up late at night." Truer words could not have been spoken! Our approach has been that I give Sheldon a topic that I want written. He in turn writes the paragraph and then I help out by typing it.

Our goal was for him to finish writing it by Friday evening and then over the weekend we would work on the illustrations. We planned on using next week to simply prepare for the oral presentation. We were well on our way to reaching our intended goal, when at 9:30 p.m. (Thursday evening) I read an e-mail from his teacher that addressed the format of the report. Well, I realize rather quickly that we did not follow this exact order; I panic. Hence, his teacher receives an e-mail from a fretful, tired mom. After dreaming about his report,I awoke with a calmer disposition, but I was still worried. On the way to work, Mark and I are discussing what we need to do. His advice, just turn the report in and do better on the next one. That's easier said than done. (Although I was seriously considering it.) I was telling Maria about it, and her approach was okay, so Sheldon rewrites it; no big deal; it will take him maybe an hour to write. This made me laugh at myself and view the dilemma from a more casual perspective.

Thankfully, his teacher let me know that we have the necessary information, but we need to put it in the correct order. An outline was given to Sheldon, and we have spent the majority of this evening re-editing the report. Sheldon even came up with a creative paragraph describing the mission use today. He described it as an old piece of mud that they don't use anymore. Of course, we laughed but we had to rework this thought so that it would be more acceptable and teacher friendly. I can assure that we know quite a bit about Mission San Gabriel Arcangel. On the bright side, we have concluded the written draft, and it is now time for Sheldon to write the final version!

I guess this is one of the joys of parenthood--helping your child with reports, reports and more reports. Someday, I will laugh when my grandchild is driving his parents batty over a mission report! Oh, the joys of parenthood, but I absolutely love it!



2 comments:

Jana Allard said...

I am so cracking up right now!!! I just finished gluing all of Blake's articles to the project board for his GATE festival. GATE festival is similar to doing a science fair project. The students pick a subject of interest and research it, compile data, photos, etc. Blake's was, "9/11...The Day The World Changed FOREVER." I remember the mission days, too. We drove all the way to San Diego to visit the mission and take pictures. Then he had to build a replica. Next thing for Blake, will be a science fair project. Just when Blake gets past all this, I'll have to help Bryn. It doesn't seem to ever end! LOL

Debbie Pryor said...

Jana, by the time you are ready to help, Bryn, you will be a pro. I think you should sell all the kids projects on e-bay; I am sure some desperate parent will pay for it. LOL Thankfully, we are almost done! Blake's report sounds cool! Let's get together soon. Maybe right after Thanksgiving. We can drive up for the day and hang out at Starbucks!!! I am in need of a break!