Thursday, August 7

Tomatoes In Unexpected Places





IMG_0258

Originally uploaded by Debbie R. Pryor
Here is the scoop. I am a city girl who always wanted a vegetable garden. I have talked to people who have grown up with gardens and they do not share the same affinity that I possess. For you see, I never had to get up at the crack of dawn and pick vegetables or till the ground. My parents never told me that I could not play with my friends until the gardening was finished. The magical thought of a luscious garden is just that, a thought.

When we moved to Tustin, California a little over two-and-a half years ago, the first chance I had I bought some tomato and radish seeds. Sheldon, being a good sport, went along with my endeavor. We planted the seeds and in a few weeks we noticed the growth. Much to my disappointment, everything died. However, the lesson was there; we planted something and watched it grow, even if it did not bare the vegetables that the package promised.

About three months ago , I noticed something growing that I did not plant. I am very tender-hearted to unexpected plants. I will allow it to grow until I determine that it is a weed, and then I show no mercy, and promptly pluck the dingy weed up and discard it! I kept watching this particular plant with keen interest. I even asked Ronnie if she thought it was a tomato plant. Being a city girl herself, she was not too sure, but I allowed it to continue growing. Maybe, just maybe, fingers crossed, could it be a tomato plant? Would I actually have vine-ripened tomatoes? I even dared to envision eating a toasted-tomato sandwich. Weeks, went by and then I was absolutely convinced, tomato plant. Okay, it earned a ticket to live.

What amazes me, is that I never planted this particular tomato plant. Further, I was not too thrilled about the location it chose, but there it was rooted and ready to grow. Miracles of all miracles took place, and I have enjoyed three tangy tomatoes!! But it does not end here, three more are still on the vine! Oh, I cannot wait until they become an unexpected treat for Sheldon and me. Life is so wonderful. Vine-ripened tomatoes are absolutely, undoubtedly the best!

I cannot end this post without comparing this small, unexpected surprise to how miraculous God works. When God chooses your destination, you will prosper; you will benefit those around you and make the greatest impact ever!









8 comments:

Mark Pryor said...

Great post.

Could it be that there is also a lesson in that while what you planted appeared to have died, in reality there was an unseen work taking place and at just the right moment (I believe the Word of God would call it "the fullness of time" ) all your disappointment would turn to joy only to remind us of the oft quoted passage that "weeping may endure for the night but joy cometh in the morning..."

Debbie Pryor said...

I believe you are so right. Everything comes together in God's perfect timing, and weeping truly does turn to joy. Everything I have experienced thus far has truly made me a better person. Love you!

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Deb, that was so awesome. It really inspired me. When we least expect it God will show up. It wasnt dead and God wasnt done. Enjoy your miracle tomatoes. They have to taste even better with the history behind them.
Noel

Karen J. Hopper said...

God's miracles are sometimes our appointments. Seems this time it is in tomatoes. Yum, I can taste 'em from here. Loved your comparison of tomatoes and God's moving in our lives.

Debbie Pryor said...

Noel, thank you for your comments. We have enjoyed this little miracle. It is the unexpected that truly becomes the greatest blessing! God is so great!

Debbie Pryor said...

Sis. Hopper, great to hear from you. I am just too thankful for everything God does. Yes, this time, it was a tasty, tangy tomato, but I am thankful for the little things that happen just to remind of God's faithfulness! God bless you!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I am happy for you!
Yes, small things are great when God is in it.

Debbie Pryor said...

Catherine, thanks for stopping by. You are just too sweet and you have a way of always blessing others with unexpected surprises! Love you!